Monday, January 12, 2009

pasta and potato soup







I have just made the most amazing soup. I am recently arrived in Norfolk for to cooking enormous casserole for Granny’s 90th. I’m giving her beef. Anyway, that’s beside the point. That’s on Saturday. The point is the soup I just made.

Butter, olive oil, thyme, bay leaf, onion, garlic, smoked bacon, celery, stock, water, pasta & potatoes. Simplicity itself but wicked. I sweated the onion and garlic in the fats with the herbs, then I put in the celery and bacon and sweated some more. Then went in the carbs and liquids. Then I stirred and stirred at full boil til everything was cooked good. The constant stirring is the trick. All them starches come flooding out into the liquid leaving you with a beautiful, thick and chunky soup. I ate it with parsley and basil pesto and a bruscetta made of sadly rubbish bread.

0 comments: